Saturday 4 September 2010

Answer from Finland

I received an answer from the Finnish Ringing Center about their AT-214214 Common Tern, caught by myself on 30/8 at Atlit salt pans. This bird was ringed as young in summer 2008 on an island south of Hamina, southernmost Finland by Tatu Hokkanen. The distance between the ringing site in Finland and the recapture site in Israel is 3115 km (see map). This is the first Finnish control of Common Tern in Israel, and only the fourth foreign control of Common Tern in Israel (first from Finland, of course); others were from Ukraine (1984), Kenya (1983) and South Africa (2000) - see map. I fitted this bird with a white plastic ring with black code I0M and I hope it will be resighted again in Finland or perhaps this winter in Africa.
This is the first recovery of the Israeli tern project and we hope it is a good sign for this project. Soon I will post here a summary of our first tern season.

View AT-214214 in a larger map

Common Terns - Israeli recoveries:

View Common Terns in Israel.kmz in a larger map



Thanks to Finnish Ringing Center for their fast answer.